The Las Vegas (LV) Whiskey and Fine Spirits Festival featured new and exciting things, and it proved to be an exciting evening even though the Crown Royal whiskies didn’t make it to the VIP section. The festival was held on the fourth floor of Topgolf on the beautiful Las Vegas strip.
The whiskies that made an appearance on Saturday, Mar 4, 2017, were as follows:
LV Whisky and Spirits Festival VIP Tasting Selection
- The Macallan Rare Cask and Double Cask (VIP section) ~approximate price $350.00
- Highland Park 12 YO (VIP section) ~approximate price $50.00
- The Black Grouse and Famous Grouse (VIP section) ~approximate price $30.00
- Octomore 6.1 Scottish Barley (VIP section) ~approximate cost $160.00
- Octomore 7.3 Islay Barley 2010 (VIP section) ~approximate cost $160.00
The VIP section of the whiskies festival helped make up for the Crown Royal whiskies. However, Crown Royal XO and Crown Royal XR didn’t make the event. I was pleased to see The Macallan Rare Cask Scotch whisky from across the room since it has a unique nose and flavor palate, which can be smooth but strong-armed.
I would need a couple of drops of plain water to open it up (water was not available). However, this is a whisky to budget for since the price is approximately $350.00. The Black Grouse whisky has a smooth flavor since it’s blended.
I tried both Octomore whisky expressions and found that the Octomore 6.1. Scottish Barley was the winner for me. It had a strong but somewhat peaty flavor and paired well with the chocolate truffles near the whiskey.
The Octomore 7.3 Islay Barley whisky was more robust than I am used to and offered more intensity than expected. If this had been a wrestling match, I would be tapping out and allowing the next person to give the Octomore 7.3 a try.
LV Whisky Non-VIP Tasting Selection
The non-VIP whiskies were as follows:
- Irishman Single Malt Whiskey ~approximate price $45.00
- The Irishman Founder’s Reserve Whiskey ~approximate price $65-70.00
- Bastille 1789 French Whisky ~approximate price $35.00
- Russel’s Reserve Whiskey ~approximate price $35-40.00
- Pendleton Canadian Whisky ~approximate price $20.00
- Pendleton Midnight Canadian Whisky ~approximate price $30.00
- Aberlour 12 YO Scotch Whisky ~approximate price $50.00
- Evans Williams Single Barrel ~approximate price $30.00
- Jack Daniels’s Tennessee Honey Whiskey ~approximate price $35.00
- P. Wiser Rye Whiskey ~approximate price $20.00
- HilHaven Lodge Blended Whiskey ~approximate price $45.00
- Amador Straight-Hop Flavored Whiskey ~ approximate price $90.00
- Amador Double Barrel Bourbon ~ approximate price $40.00
Topgolf was a suitable venue; the event was a fantastic way to get folks together to support a worthy cause. However, another floor within the complex would have offered more elbow room.
The floor was still occupied by Topgolf patrons and whisk(e)y festival attendees, so another location within the MGM Casino and Hotel afforded a little more exclusivity and slightly less noise. The on-site bar added an excellent touch for attendees who were not sampling whiskies or any other spirits available to attendees. The LV Whiskey and Spirit Festival brought people and fine spirits together in a social setting.
We look forward to hearing from other Lovers of Whisky fans and festival attendees about your TopGolf whiskey experience.