Bourbon Whiskey Bars are similar to shortbread but shortbread with a Kentucky whiskey flavor. The flavor is bold and buttery and you can use any bourbon of your choosing. My choice was Makers Mark Bourbon because of the slight sweetness in the whiskey. The butterscotch chips (Amazon link) provide an additional sweet tasty treat to the bars. The roasted unsalted cashews (Amazon link) add a hearty and crunchy bite to the whiskey bars.
What did you think of the Maker’s Mark Whiskey bars?
- 1 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ¼ pound (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- ¼ cup bourbon
- ½ cup chopped, toasted cashews
- ¾ cup butterscotch chips
- 1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and line an 8-inch baking pan with parchment paper. Grease the baking pan with butter, non-stick cooking spray or baking spray. If you use baking spray with flour you won’t need to flour the pan. However, if you use butter or non-stick spray then dust the pan with flour and tap out the excess.
- 2. Combine the first three ingredients in a small bowl. Place the butter and brown sugar into a large bowl and beat with an electric mixer for about 2-3 minutes. The contents of the large bowl should be light and fluffy. Next, beat in the eggs and bourbon and then gradually beat in the flour with the eggs and bourbon until all is combined. You can add in the nuts and butterscotch chips at this point.
- 3. Take the greased baking pan and pour the batter into the pan and bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until set in the center and the edges are golden. Cool the pan contents completely in the pan on a wire rack; once cool cut into 12 squares and enjoy.