The Hollinger Manhattan Project is another awesome cocktail I came across while reviewing Chad Berkey and Jeremy LeBlanc’s book “The North American Whiskey Guide from Behind the Bar”. This is a fantastic book to add to your cocktail book collection or even have behind the home bar during parties. You can experiment with drinks as written in the book or you change up the ingredients to see what develops. I slightly modified The Hollinger Manhattan Project by substituting Rittenhouse 100 Rye Whiskey with Bulleit 95 Small Batch Rye Whiskey.
The Bulleit Rye Whiskey had that peppery bite that is common for Rye whiskies. Our review on the Bulleit 95 Rye whiskey can be viewed at https://loversofwhisky.com/bulleit-95-rye-whiskey/. As far as the garnish goes for your cocktail, you can substitute the Luxardo Maraschino cherry with a regular Maraschino cherry. The Luxardo cherries are sweeter than a regular Maraschino cherry. And, without further ado, here is the Hollinger Manhattan Project.
How did the cocktail taste or are you too busy making yourself another one?
- 2 oz. Bulleit Rye Small Batch Whiskey
- ¼ oz. Luxardo Maraschino Liqueur
- ½ oz. Carpano Antica Formula (sweet bitters)
- Absinthe, for rinse
- Luxardo Maraschino cherry
- Add the Bulleit, Luxardo Liqueur, and Carpano Antica to a cocktail shaker filled ¾ full with ice.
- Stir the ingredients and ice for 15-30 seconds. Rinse a chilled cocktail glass with absinthe and then discard the extra absinthe.
- Place the Luxardo Maraschino cherry at the bottom of the cocktail glass and then strain the cocktail shaker’s contents into the glass and over the Maraschino cherry.