The Peach Mint Julep cocktail is a slightly sweet julep recipe but it provides a kick of its own. Being Georgia raised, I felt it was best to add some peach flavor to the mix. The Bird Dog Peach Flavored whiskey was a great choice for the cocktail. I first came across it at the Whiskey Licker Bar which is located on Fremont Street in Las Vegas. You can check out our comments on the Whiskey Licker at https://loversofwhisky.com/whiskey-licker-bar-las-vegas-nv/. The “kick of its own” is by way of the Cask Strength Makers Mark bourbon used in this recipe. It was modified from the “Henry Clay Mint Julep” in the Bourbon and Bacon cookbook.
How did the Peach Mint Julep turn out for you?
- 10 fresh mint leaves
- 1 tsp superfine sugar
- 2 Tbsp. Bird Dog Peach Flavored Whiskey
- 2 Tbsp. Cask Strength Makers Mark Bourbon Whiskey
- 1 cup crushed ice
- ¼ cup soda water
- 1-2 fresh mint sprig
- Chill a julep cup and then place the mint leaves, sugar and 2 Tbsp. peach flavored whiskey into the chilled julep cup. Muddle the mint leaves, sugar and peach flavored whiskey against the bottom and side of julep cup. The muddler will release the flavors of the mint, sugar and whiskey.
- Add ½ cup crushed ice and agitate the mixture in the julep cup. Add the remaining ½ cup of ice and add the 2 tablespoons of Cask Strength Makers Mark bourbon.
- Next, top off the julep cup with soda water and the mint sprigs.