The National Tonic Cocktail is a light refreshing mixed drink made with bourbon whiskey. It is a good cocktail to have when you are chilling out on a hot, summer day while sitting in your easy chair on the front porch or patio. To add a bit of sweetness, I used Makers Mark bourbon whiskey. If you are watching the calories use Canada Dry Diet Ginger Ale. This cocktail originated from Southern Living’s Bourbon & Bacon Cookbook.
- 1/3 cup fresh grapefruit juice or Ocean Spray Ruby Red Grapefruit juice
- ¼ cup or 2 oz. bourbon
- 2 Tbsp. (or more as needed) Blenheim’s Spicy Ginger Ale
- Fill a 16 oz. rock glass with ice; if you do not have a rock glass then use a 16 oz. pint glass
- Add the grapefruit juice and bourbon over the ice.
- Top the grapefruit juice, bourbon and ice with the ginger ale and then stir gently.